The President & CEO of Spurwink for the past 2 years, Eric Meyer, is both a licensed clinical social worker and has an MBA. But he’s a real person too! He tells us about his Top 12 Favorite Holiday Activities in Maine.
- Just being in Maine. I wouldn’t even consider Christmas away from here. I have no desire to leave my home. My connections and roots are in Maine.
- Kicking off the holiday season the day after Thanksgiving at my parents’ house – they are in their 80s. We bake gingerbread walls and roofs and then the kids create houses. It is all pretty cool. Classic holiday cool.
- Cutting our own Christmas tree. We look for one on our little old farm in Whitefield.
- My children coming home every Christmas. Being together with family, including my parents, my sister, my nephews. We lead such busy lives and I love being able to focus on family when we all gather. Really nice time.
- On Christmas Eve, putting the star (that my wife had as a child) on top of our tree, and opening 1 present – only one!
- Enjoying my memories of dressing up as Santa for 5 years for the preschoolers at the Morse St. School in Freeport.
- Tying over 20 stockings to the stairway bannister. There’s one for everyone – including all of our animals – horses, alpacas, llamas, chickens, dogs, cats. We all love the Christmas magic of Santa filling them. [Yes, the bannister, because I don’t want to put screws in the wooden mantle in the living room!]
- The cinnamon rolls my wife makes on Christmas morning.
- Wrapping one gift for each person in newspaper. It’s a tradition now, and began as a combination of being cheap and funny, and my irritation around holiday materialism. It’s a bit of a statement now and everyone expects it.
- Baking together and making meals. Love it.
- Hot spiced cider – my favorite holiday drink.
- Using my WORKING snow blower (Thanks to the kids in our Chelsea program Machine Shop!)
Happy Holidays everyone!